Mercedes ran a new rear wing but both drivers were lapped on the way to seventh and eighth.
|Michael Schumacher||Nico Rosberg|
|Qualifying time comparison (Q3)||1’32.482 (+1.219)||1’31.263|
Mercedes drivers’ lap times throughout the race (in seconds):
Schumacher had trouble keeping the car on the track in practice, waving to the crowd during one off-track excursion at the Dunlop hairpin.
Although he made it into Q3 he was routed by Rosberg, who lapped 1.2 seconds faster and out-qualified him for the ninth time out of ten.
He bounced back in the race, gaining a place from Jenson Button at the start, then passing Vitaly Petrov as lap two began.
On lap 22 he took advantage of Rosberg being held up behind Petrov to launch an attack on his team mate at the chicane.
But on the next lap he spun at the RTL Kurve, falling back behind Petrov and Jaime Alguersuari. Fortunately for him, they both pitted at the end of the lap.
Having fallen 16 seconds behind Rosberg he gained on his team mate by six seconds over the rest of the race, crossing the line behind him in eighth place.
Rosberg moved up to fifth at the start and spent the opening portion of the race defending his place from Felipe Massa.
Massa eventually demoted him on lap 12, and Rosberg made his first pit stop two laps later.
After picking his way past Petrov and fending off an attack from his team mate, Rosberg made his second stop and came out behind Kamui Kobayashi. After a couple of laps probing the Sauber’s defences, he got by on the inside of turn one.
But the battle cost him some time which proved costly in his battle with Adrian Sutil.
Running a three-stop strategy, Rosberg’s pace in his final soft-tyre stint wasn’t enough to get him out of the pits in front of the two-stopping Force India, dropping him to seventh.
2011 German Grand Prix
- Rate the race result: 2011 German Grand Prix
- 2011 German Grand Prix: complete race weekend review
- Vote for your German GP driver of the weekend
- McLaren: Surprise win in Germany for Hamilton
- Red Bull: McLaren and Ferrari ahead in Germany
- Ferrari: Alonso beats Red Bulls despite cool weather
- Mercedes: Three-stopper costs Rosberg a place
- Force India: Sutil helps team overtake Toro Rosso
- Renault: Petrov dissatisfied with strategy
- Sauber: Kobayashi out in Q1 but claims points
Image ?é?® Mercedes