Renault 2016 F1 team launch
- Coup for Renault as Bell returns from Mercedes
- Frederic Vasseur: The new man in charge at Renault
- Podium finishes ‘three or four years away’ – Renault
- New Renault chief Vasseur wants “results from the first year”
- Renault’s F1 cars and liveries in pictures, 1977-2016
- Renault reveals RS16 in black launch livery
- Renault confirms Magnussen’s return to F1
Renault has named Esteban Ocon as its reserve driver for the upcoming F1 season.
Ocon, the reigning GP3 champion and 2014 European Formula Three champion, had previously been signed by Mercedes to its young driver roster.
Renault racing director Frederic Vasseur, whose ART team Ocon drove for last year, described him as “probably one of the most successful young drivers over the last few years”.
“He will have a fantastic year ahead of him with his role as third and reserve driver for us, as well as further programmes with Mercedes. It’s a great opportunity for him and we thank Mercedes-Benz for their support here.”
Renault also announced the creation of a new Academy to find “future Renault Sport champions”.
Reigning Formula Renault 3.5 champion Oliver Rowland, Formula Renault 2.0 ALPS and Eurocup champion Jack Aitken, Formula Renault 2.0 NEC champion Louis Deletraz and race-winning 2.0-litre driver Kevin Joerg have been named as the initial members. Rowland will race in GP2 this season with Aitken and Joerg move into GP3.
2016 F1 season
- Are tickets too dear? Crowds fell at some tracks in 2016
- F1’s TV audience decline stopped in 2016
- Brawn among key F1 hires announced by Liberty
- Has F1 hit ‘peak penalties’? Fewer sanctions in 2016
- Brundle reveals Monaco GP heart attack