Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel finished just six seconds off the lead despite significant delays in their races.
Vettel was delayed by a ten-second stop-go penalty while Hamilton lost even more time having the padding in his cockpit replaced. The pair were closing on the podium battle when the chequered flag fell.
Daniel Ricciardo moved up nine places to win the race but the race’s biggest mover was Fernando Alonso, who finished ten places higher than he started.
Remarkably Valtteri Bottas ended the race in the same place he started despite losing 18 places on the first lap.
2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix lap chart
The positions of each driver on every lap. Click name to highlight, right-click to reset. Toggle drivers using controls below:
Go ad-free for just £1 per month
|Driver||Start position||Lap one position change||Race position change|
|Carlos Sainz Jnr||15||-4||7|
2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix race chart
The gaps between each driver on every lap compared to the leader’s average lap time. Very large gaps omitted. Scroll to zoom, drag to pan and right-click to reset. Toggle drivers using controls below:
2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix
- Vettel accepts Hamilton did not brake-test him
- “Lost all respect for the FIA” – Hamilton endorses fan’s view on Vettel ruling
- Vettel issues formal apology for Baku clash with Hamilton
- Vettel avoids further sanction over clash with Hamilton
- ‘No change’ at Force India: Drivers still free to race despite costly Baku clash