Lewis Hamilton was fastest in the second practice session at Suzuka but he was one of only five drivers to set times during a very wet session.
The world championship leader set a best time of 1’48.719 using full wet weather tyres on a very wet circuit. The pit lane did not open until halfway through the allotted 90 minutes of running due to the amount of standing water on the circuit. The rain later eased, allowing some drivers to set times, but returned before the chequered flag fell.
Williams and Force India were the only other team to send either of their cars out. Lance Stroll set a time despite running off the track at turn one after hitting a deep patch of water.
|2||31||Esteban Ocon||Force India-Mercedes||1’49.518||0.799||3|
|3||11||Sergio Perez||Force India-Mercedes||1’51.345||2.626||3|
|13||55||Carlos Sainz Jnr||Toro Rosso-Renault|
|15||3||Daniel Ricciardo||Red Bull-TAG Heuer|
|17||10||Pierre Gasly||Toro Rosso-Renault|
|19||33||Max Verstappen||Red Bull-TAG Heuer|
2017 Japanese Grand Prix
- 2017 Japanese Grand Prix team radio transcript
- Hamilton wanted battle with Vettel at Suzuka
- Top ten pictures from the 2017 Japanese Grand Prix
- 2017 Japanese Grand Prix Star Performers
- “It’s been a pleasure”: Japanese GP team radio highlights
2017 F1 practice sessions
- Errors leave Hamilton behind Rosberg in final practice
- Rosberg edges Hamilton in second practice
- Mercedes comfortably ahead in first practice
- Two stoppages can’t keep Hamilton from top spot
- Mercedes wrap up Friday practice with almost a second in hand