Max Verstappen says he thought Charles Leclerc put up a stronger fight in the British Grand Prix following their fight for victory in Austria two weeks ago.Red Bull Ring. He said his rival fought more vigorously at Silverstone today, and complained on the radio his rival was making defensive moves very late.
“I think he was a little bit sore still from Austria so he was defending really hard,” said Verstappen. “But it’s fine, I’m all for that.
“Of course I didn’t want to take too much risk in those battles to damage the car because I knew we were quite a bit faster so I just needed to pick my moment. But then luckily the team did it for me with a good strategy and then it was all looking good for a good result.”
Verstappen’s race was ruined when Leclerc’s team mate Sebastian Vettel crashed into him while the pair were fighting for position. Had it not been for that Verstappen believes he could have finished on the podium.
“We were clearly faster than Ferrari in the race,” he said. “But I never really had clear laps.
“I think Lewis [Hamilton] was really quick but in general I think we could have finished second or third today.”
Don't miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’