Valtteri Bottas admitted he was surprised his team mate was able to beat the fastest lap time he set on softs using an old set of hard tyres.Lewis Hamilton set the fastest lap of the race while running on a 32-lap-old set of hard tyres. Bottas, who switched to soft tyres with seven laps to go, missed out on the fastest lap of the race by three hundredths of a second.
“I tried pretty hard but I didn’t have really full battery level at the moment,” he explained. “Even though with the mode I was running the lap before it should have been.
“It’s something we actually raised up in the meeting that can be a lot better in the races [so] we really have some margin to go for the fastest lap to charge the pack more to really deploy more. I feel I lost a bit there. Also carried a bit more fuel.”
Bottas set his fastest lap of the race with five laps to go, only for Hamilton to beat it on the final lap. He admitted he made a small mistake at the end of the lap which could have cost him the bonus.
“I was surprised that with the hard tyre at the end he could do a lap like that,” said Bottas. “Obviously the hard tyre was very solid. It was not much I had: A bit of a lock-up into the last couple of corners so lost maybe a tenth there.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’