Max Verstappen says Lewis Hamilton’s margin over his rivals in second practice was exaggerated because he had a tow from another car on his quickest lap.Charles Leclerc and Verstappen. The Red Bull driver believes his car is more competitive than it looks over a single lap.
“Overall it’s been a pretty positive day,” he said. “I think that the pace of the car in the short run is not bad.
“Lewis had a tow on the back straight so it’s not really [representative], the lap time. I think it’s smaller.”
Verstappen believes Red Bull have the most time to gain over a race stint.
“The long runs I think I was not entirely happy, we can still do a little bit better. But this track is very aggressive on tyres as well. So I think if we can keep the tyres under the control then suddenly everything looks a lot better. But overall a good start to the weekend.”
“It was OK, I enjoyed it,” said Albon. “It’s quite technical. There’s a lot of track, so you don’t know where to put the car.
“The first session was pretty good, the second session not as good. But I kind of know what direction we want to go for tomorrow.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2019 F1 season
- McLaren Racing reports reduced £71 million loss in 2019
- Kvyat: Hockenheim podium last year was “my biggest achievement” so far
- How the FIA’s new encrypted fuel flow meter targets Ferrari’s suspected ‘aliasing’ trick
- “He smashed my office door”: 23 must-see moments from ‘Drive to Survive’ season two
- ‘I should have done a better job. There’s things that I know I can do better’