Mercedes has confirmed the Ineos group has joined the team in a new, five-year sponsorship deal.
Mercedes and Ineos have already collaborated on the latter’s cycling and sailing projects through Mercedes-Benz Applied Science. Mercedes has assisted the development of the RB2 race boat for the America’s Cup, including its aerodynamics, drivetrain, hydraulics and other aspects of its design and simulation.
Ineos’s other sporting interests include the former Team Sky road cycling team, which is being rebranded Team Ineos. It also owns football clubs OGC Nice (France) and Lausanne Sports FC (Switzerland).
The company, which also owns oil refineries and oil and gas fields, was founded 22 years ago by Sir Jim Ratcliffe.
“It is a very proud moment for us to welcome Ineos to Mercedes in their new capacity as Principal Partner. The company’s amibtion, dynamism and entrepreneurial flair are a perfect fit for the spirit of Mercedes-AMG Petronas.”
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2020 F1 season
- Bottas vs Rosberg: Hamilton’s Mercedes team mates compared after 78 races each
- F1 revenues fell by $877 million in Covid-struck 2020 season
- Hamilton and Mercedes finally announce new deal for 2021 season
- F1 audience figures “strong” in 2020 despite dip in television viewers
- 2020 F1 driver rankings #1: Lewis Hamilton