Romain Grosjean says his plans to test a Mercedes Formula 1 car are at an advanced stage.Mercedes CEO Toto Wolff extended an offer to Grosjean to test one of their Formula 1 cars after his crash in the Bahrain Grand Prix last year, which brought an early end to his final season in the championship.
Grosjean suffered burns to his hands as he escaped from the fireball crash. That left him unable to participate in the the Sakhir and Abu Dhabi grands prix, which would have been his final appearances in F1 for Haas.
He confirmed in a discussion with fans on social media Wolff had made him an offer to drive one of the world champions’ cars.
“I have had a phone call with them and we are finalising the plan,” said Grosjean. “I think it’s going to be mega.” No date has yet been confirmed for the test.
Wolff said last year Mercedes would give Grosjean a test if “nobody else within his universe of teams that he raced would provide him with such an opportunity”. Haas have previously indicated they will not be able to run a car for him to test as they do not have access to a suitable power unit. Formula 1’s rules tightly restrict how often teams can run their current cars outside of race weekends.
Grosjean raced a Mercedes-powered Formula 1 car in 2015. He scored his final podium at a grand prix in a Lotus-Mercedes at Spa.
He will drive for Coyne in the majority of this year’s IndyCar races and is due to have his first test for the team at Barber Motorsports Park on Tuesday.
Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and
2021 F1 season
- Masi says he received “death threats” over months after Abu Dhabi controversy
- Masi did make mistake with title-deciding Abu Dhabi GP restart, Horner admits
- Williams fined for late submission of budget cap documents
- The omission in the FIA’s Abu Dhabi report which may store up trouble for the future
- New insights but notable omissions in Drive to Survive’s account of F1’s 2021 finale