DTM (Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters)

Video: Nannini's revenge attack on Asch, 1994

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I remember watching this video at the time but only just came across it again. Here’s ex-F1 driver Alessandro Nannini involved in a notorious incident in a DTM round at Singen in 1994.

The Alfa Romeo driver arrived at the double-header event with a slim chance of beating Mercedes’ Klaus Ludwig to the title. But having started last in the second race his hopes were wrecked when another Mercedes driver, Roland Asch, knocked him into a spin at the hairpin.

Nannini saw red, and after pitting for repairs and fresh tyres, returned to the track and resolved to use Asch as a substitute for his brake pedal:

Replays at 5’50.

Both were fined – though the stewards came down more strongly on Asch. Ludwig won the title.

andae23
    Participant

That’s crazy, reminds me of that fatal NASCAR incident from a month ago and just how dangerous these sort of things are. (on an unrelated note, R. Asch (‘rasch’) is one of the best racing names ever, along with Scott Speed)

And as far as the track layout goes they were 20 years ahead of Formula E…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alemannenring

Nick
    Participant

Saw this clip for the first time a few years ago accidentally in a playlist named after the commentator.

He makes a very valid point; you might be an Italian full of passion, but what Nannini did there is utterly ridiculous. I’ve done it a ton of times on games, but that puts exactly 0 people and 0 money at stake, who knows what could have happened at a shoddy street circuit like that, or if he had lost control in that busy pit lane.

Of course, the comments imply he is a real man. I’ll take the ‘whimps’ who don’t endanger other drivers, thank you very much..

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Heh, that is great. I would say he also did it in the safest manner possible – R. Asch could skate off down the escape road. Surely in those days there was more danger to his car/front crumpling and setting on fire. Imagine if someone claimed seeing the name was subliminally making a rash reaction all the more likely… :D

I’m amazed Nannini could come back from a severed arm and still race – reminds me of Kubica. Interesting that Asch was fined more heavily – did they suspect he ‘did it for the team’? Or was it a Grosjean Spa ‘affecting the championship’ penalty? Or even just for starting it, a bit like penalising Hamilton instead of Grosjean, even if Grosjean was then the one rolling over Alonso?

Strangely enough, they just announced no charges on Stewart, as Ward had marijuana in his system – that must be recreational, as I doubt it would be a performance enhancer.

mark adams
    Participant

reminds me of the di resta molina crash, amazing that niether driver was punished by the stewards

Steven
    Participant

@keithcollantine It’s a shame they put in those squiggly chicanes, they could’ve had a track exclusively made of straights and 90-degree corners.

They called it a ring? Sorry, it’s more like a city silhouette or an old lady or a chair or a water tank or……not a ring, basically (apart from the fact that it keeps repeating itself, of course) :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

@davidnotcoulthard “Ring” is basically the German word for “circuit”. It’s not like the Nürburg<i>ring</i> or the Hockeheim<i>ring</i> are any more ring-shaped.

Well, on this video … bloody disgraceful, really. Revenge is never an acceptable motive, and especially not in fast and heavy machinery. I can only shake my head in disgust.

@klon Yes, that’s true on the one hand. On the other hand, that layout is still ridiculous (as I said, it’s like a water tank!)….:)

Mathers
    Participant

With regards to the layout, it might not be the most inspiring circuit but I think that tracks like these have their own charm to them. It’s like the Beijing Formula E track – it’s full of 90 degree corners and chicanes – but I think that’s a positive characteristic which makes it different to the Tilkedromes we race on so often – not more imaginative no, but certainly different.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.