F1 Games

Your simracing set-up in 2021

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

We’ve just reviewed the Next Level GT Lite simracing seat which got me wondering what hardware you’re using for racing games at the moment. What have you got, would you recommend it to other racers and what are you hoping to upgrade to in the future? And are there any new peripherals coming out soon you would like us to review?

Fer no.65
    Participant

I returned to simracing last year after moving to Spain from Argentina, so now, if I have the money, I can actually buy the stuff I desire, like rigs, and wheelbases and the lot.

But of course, it’s costly, so you’ve got to start small and go in steps. I got a Thrustmaster T300RS GT wheel and pedals set. I didn’t want to start off again with Logitech (I had a G27 back in Argentina, basically the best wheel you could get from retailers there), so I searched for an alternative. The T300 is a great entry wheel, despite the reliability concerns. As long as you keep the fans on all the time, you’re fine. It’s belt driven through a brushless motor so it’s both stronger than the Logitech G and far, far smoother. I’d say it’s midway through a Logitech G and a Fanatec CSL Elite.

The pedals, tho, are rubbish. Even the RS GT version with the upgraded T3PA pedals. It comes with a rubber cone that acts as a stopper for the brake, as a way to simulate a load cell but it’s rather hopeless. I found it very difficult in certain cars in iRacing (the sim I use) to modulate the brake… it took ages adjusting the settings for every car.

I quickly used my “being in Europe” card and bought a set of Elite Load Cell pedals from Fanatec. Best investment ever in terms of gaming. Immediately trimmed seconds of my laptimes, and could hit them consistently.

Maybe someone’s looking for ideas to start, so I’d recommend getting the standard Thrustmaster T300, without the extra cost of the pedals which are rubbish, and once you get a feel of the sims you’re racing, get load cell pedals. Either Thurstmaster’s own or Fanatecs.

I quickly used my “being in Europe” card and bought a set of Elite Load Cell pedals from Fanatec. Best investment ever in terms of gaming. Immediately trimmed seconds of my laptimes, and could hit them consistently.

I’ve been using these as well (as you’ll have seen from the Fanatec CSL Elite F1 review last weekend) and I was similarly impressed. The first few presses felt very odd, but once you get used to the firmer sensation it’s much better.

GeeMac
    Participant

After literally years of dithering I’ve finally committed to sinking some cash into a sim racing setup.

I’ve not gone for anything too fancy, I’ve decided the tried and trusted Logitech G920 is a good place to start for my wheel and pedal set and I’ve also got a Playseat RC0002 Challenge.

They arrive today and I cannot wait to get started!

nikolarun
    Participant

I am currently running the below set-up
    Fanatec CSW 2.5
    Fanatec F1 Clubsport with the advanced paddle module
    Fanatec CSL Elite pedals with a load cell
    Next Level Racing Challenger seat.

The set-up is pretty good, although I would go for another seat/rig. The Challenger moves around too much and I even had them send me another centre column which was also moving around, so I had to use dampening pads to get it stay in place.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.