Formula 3.5 V8

Races 14 and 15: Paul Ricard

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

It’s a pivotal weekend for the championship contenders – 100 points left on the board, just 16 between Sainz Jnr and Merhi at the top of the standings. Gasly and Rowland are 41 and 54 points adrift respectively and need big results at Paul Ricard to have a shot at the title when the series wraps up at Jerez.

It’s a big weekend for me too as I’m going to be leading the commentary on BT Sport’s channels for the first time. Sportscar ace Jonny Mowlem will be joining me for the 3.5 and 2.0 races as follows:

Saturday
    3.5 race one – live on ESPN UK, 11:45
    2.0 race one – live on BT Sport app, 15:05

Sunday
    3.5 race two – live on BT Sport 1, 11:45
    2.0 race two – highlights on BT Sport 2, 15:30

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Good job on race 1, Keith. Some good jokes about the safety car and understeer/oversteer with Johnny, along with information on DRS. What was the second way we can tell if it’s being used? Good to see Johnny had the same concern as myself, in that it can be hard to detect when it is being used – it would be handy if all cars could run the yellow stripe like Rowland and a few others do. I think you also pointed out there is a Gurney flap involved, so I see now that it is a little different to F1 DRS, thus working differently.

It’s a shame the race director couldn’t show us better footage early on, like the Fantin/Jaafar incidents or more of the multiple overtaking on lap 1; we were watching the settled midfield, when there was multiple passing going on just before the chicane out of shot. It got a little better towards the end, but I still noticed we didn’t see some changes in the order, like Latifi dropping back or Stevens being passed. Hope I can tune in to the Eurocup – BT Sport listings have other programs there (possibly an out of date listing).

Thanks @fastiesty! Yes it is a lot easier to see the DRS working on some cars instead of others. It was a bit of a processional race at the front though, hoping for better tomorrow.

Nick
    Participant

Pretty good weekend for Sainz, even if Mehri is still technically in contention. Was anything revealed on Gasly’s poor opening laps?

I have to say, this was the first time I found a BT Sport stream and I was quite impressed with your commentary, Keith. Race wasn’t too exciting for the most part, but you and Jonny Mowlem managed to keep me engaged for the full race. Nice job!

@npf1 Thanks very much! On the whole I’m pretty please with how my first weekend as lead went. Definitely a lot of room for improvement but I’m satisfied.

Sunday served up the better action though you never like to see a race red-flagged because of a driver injury. I understand Ryan Tveter was taken to hospital after his crash in the Formula Renault 2.0 race to have his back looked at, hopefully it’s not too serious.

Both the championship leaders were in full command this weekend – McLaren’s Nyck de Vries in 2.0 taking a fully deserved championship triumph with two races to spare, and Carlos Sainz almost putting a lock on the 3.5 crown. The latter is particularly impressive considering, as his DAMS team principal said before the first race, the Max Verstappen news inevitably knocked him back a bit.

Some encouraging tweets from Tveter today and I think he’s right to point the finger at Gounon and co.:

SP
    Participant

He’s out for 8 weeks and thus will miss the Jerez races: https://twitter.com/RyanTveter/status/519087491429969920

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.